Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) is an effective treatment for major depression with an eficacy rate of 80% or more,which is equal to or better than response rates to ANTIDEPRESSANT medications in some patients.
It is particularly useful for people who cannot tolerate or fail to respond to the use of medication treatment.
There are various Reseaches from MAYO CLINIC ,JOHN HOPKIN’S University,and others but they did not allow to download for your references.You can reference them .Also talk to your doctor or healthcare provider for educated information.
Provide educational support to patient and family.
Assess pretreatment protocols to ensure that it was according to hospital procedures.
Assess the patient behavior ,memory and functioning ability before the ECT.
Patient should remove prothesis before treatment to prevent damages or loss.
The Nurse should prepare and monitor patient during the actual ECT procedure.
Patient should use the bathroom before procedure to prevent incontinent.THE TARGETED BEHAVIOR OF ECT/EFFECTIVENESS.
4. Severe psychosis with acute onset,life threatening psychiatric conditions.
Rigidity of parkinsonism or the neuroleptic
1.Education on procedure and expected effects to patient and family.
2. Encourage expression of feelings by patient and family.
3. Reinforce teaching after treatment.
4. Check emergency equipment before treatment/procedure.
5. Maintain NPO(Nothing by mouth) Status for 4-8hours
6. Remove harmful objects such as denture,jewlry before treatment.
7. Check vital signs ,maintain airway,assist to ambulate,
offer analgesia or antiemetic as needed.
8.Remain with patient before and during treatment.
9. provide support.Your focus should be on that patient only during treatment.Do not combine with other assignment.
10.Reorient patient and assist family members after procdure.