(1)A 68years old female is brought to the Emergency room with her daughter who reports that her mother is not eating well.The patient is not on any prescription medication. After examining the patient and obtaining a diet history from the patient, the nurse determined that which meal will be best choice for this patient?.
A Broiled chicken, broccoli, skim milk.
B. Rice,soup and broccoli.
Chips and skim milk.
D None of the above.
Correct answer A.This meal will provide a balanced diet for the patient.
(2)What is the purpose of WIC program?.This program was enacted in 1966.
(A) There is no intended purpose for the WIC started in 1966.
(B) To punish pregnant women and deny services to low income women.
(C )A program developed to support drug abuse,and Uncontrolled pregnancy out of wedlock.
(D) It is a program designed to assist low income families with supplemental food assistance and nutritional education.It support pregnant, postpartum, infants and their lactating women, and children until the children are five years old. It is a great program.
Correct answer: D.
Rationale : In 1966 the federal government established WIC to supplement nutritional needs for low income families (for infants, children and women).
(3) A client who has rectal cancer has just completed a course of Radiation treatment. What will be the best food that nurse should have available for the patient in anticipation of his return from radiation therapy to his room.
(A) cool smoothie.
( B) hot coffee.
(C) Frozen yogurt.
D Room temperature lemon-lime juice.
Correct answer : D. Room temperature lemon- lime drink.
Treatment of radiation therapy can cause diarrhea, fluids and electrolytes imbalance. Diet should be fluids, low residue, low lactose ,low fat,room temperature fluids is easier to tolerate. Avoid hot and cold fluids.
(4) Nurse Jennifer is caring for a patient receiving full strength of Ensure by tube feeding. The nurse knows that the most common complications of a tube feeding is?
(B) Nausea,Vomiting bloody urine.
( C )Headache.
This is due to intolerance to solution rate, give slowly. Other symptoms of intolerance are nausea/Vomiting, aspiration, glycosuria,diaphoresis.
(5) The nurse supervises care at an adult daycare center. Four meal choices were available to the residents. The nurse should ensure that a resident on a low cholesterol diet receives of the following meals?.
(A) Grilled flounder, green beans, fish instead of meat,increased vegetables.
(B )Milk,eggs, stew ,cow meat.
( C)Vegetables, rice and stew,goat meat.
(D )Meat,fish,rice and okra.
Correct answer A.
(6) The Registered nurse discusses nutritional benefits with a client with cystic fibrosis. Which of the following diets should the nurse recognize as usually recommended for this condition?.
(A) High carbohydrate diet.
(B )Fatty foods and vegetables.
(C )High vitamin, low protein ,and high fat.
(D )High protein and high vitamin. Patient losses 2to 3 protein lost in stool due to lack of enzyme trypsin fat soluble vitamins ( A,D,E,K)
Correct answer D.
(7) The nurse teaches a client about a low fat and cholesterol restricted diet.
Which of the following food should be allowed on this meal?.
( A) 5oz lean meat allowed,poultry,fish,fruits, vegetables, whole grains.
B Cow meat, fish,vegetable oil, whole meal.
(C ) Whole grain, beefy pork with soup and white rice.
(D)Tomatoes juice, pork,potatoes, vegetables and steamed rice.
Correct answer A.
(8)The nurse obtains a diet history from a female patient who requires a high protein diet. Which of the following meals should the nurse recognize as appropriate diet for this patient?.
(B)All of the above.
(C )None of the above.
(D)One of the above.
Correct answer B.The emails divided into three for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
(9)A patient is placed on a low sodium diet. Which of the following foods should the nurse recognize as low in sodium .
(A )Beans and rice.
(B) Turkey 25mg/oz.
(C) Salad and cereal.
(D) All of the above.
Correct answer B.
(10) The nurse teaches one of her patients about vitamin C content in food. The nurse will evaluate the patient understanding of her teaching if the patient is able to identify foods rich in vitamin C.
(A) Rice and bread.
(B) Tomatoes juice and fries.
(C)Spinach and eggs.
(D) Broccoli (113mg raw).
Correct answer D
(11) Patient is placed on low protein diet The nurse is to perform dietary teaching on this patient. The nurse should know that her teaching is successful, if patient is able to identify foods lowest in protein?.
(A)Cranberries and broiled chicken.
(B )No cranberries, chicken 7gm/oz.
(C )A & B.
(D )None of the above.
Correct answer A.
(12)The patient called the clinic to report symptoms of diarrhea. Which of the following over the counter medications is most likely to cause the symptoms of diarrhea?.
(C )laxatives .
(D) None of the above .
Cathartics accelerates defecation. This is the opposite of laxatives which eases defecation .A good example of Cathartics are magnesium sulfate, Phillips of magnesia.
Rationale:It promotes the evacuation of bowel by increasing the motor activity of the intestine.
(13) The nurse prepares a nutritional education program for a group of patients who have new ileostomy. The nurse should educate the patients that which of the following food is most likely to cause obstruction of the G.I tract.
(A )Corn and coconut. Also nuts,seeds, popcorn, tough fibrous meat.
B Salad,rice beans and yam.
C Papaya, rice and stew.
D All of th above
Correct answer A.
Rationale: Diet after surgery will be increase in fluid intake, high protein, high cholesterol, increase Calories, supplements of Vitamins A,D,E,K,Berries, whole grains cereals. Raw fruits should be limited if can cause problems.
(14)A 64years old woman is brought into the hospital with elevated blood sugar. History of diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, left BKA,seizure disorder. Case manager consulted for disposition, PT/OT consulted.Hemodialysis every day except Saturday and Sunday. The nurse is to educate patient on the diet that she needs. What will be the most appropriate recommendation for this patient.
Correct answer: To avoid foods and vegetables rich in potassium,phosphorus and to watch sodium intake.No added sodium to diet.Patient to substitute food without potassium and phosphorus because the kidney has difficulty to eliminate it. This nutritional teaching is very important because it is challenging for many dialysis patients. And nutritional consult ordered.
(15) Why is it that the doctor orders PT/OT consult?.
(A) That is the routine. PT/OT is ordered for every patient.
(B) The doctor has PT/OT franchise.
(C )Physical therapy and occupational therapy is ordered for evaluation and treatment since patient will be discharge home.The doctor want to sure that it is safe to discharge.
D All of the above.
Correct answer C.