In order to become a certified nurse assistant you will undergo three months training in Community College, or America Red Cross or in hospital training.After the training you will take a test ,pass the core skills test before you can become Certified nurse assistant. Since you are trained you get better pay than the nursing assistant without portfolio (untrained).The roles of the certified nurse assistant are to provide care to patients and to help with activities of daily living which patients/ clients are no longer capable of doing such as bathing, dressing up, brushing their teeth or denture. They also help and support medical staff to take care of the patients. It is difficult to have good nursing assistants. Their job involve lot of physical stamina. But most of the time the good nursing assistants are abused,overworked ,discriminated against (by the Registered nurses if the nursing assistants are of different race )without any appreciation. Some of the Registered nurses will sometimes pretend that because she is a certified nurse assistant, she has suddenly developed eight hands and eight legs.Then the nurse assistant will walk ,run at the same time to take care of some of the things that the Registered nurses can handle. With time the nurse assistant will leave or transfer to another unit.Be compassionate and pamper your assistant so that she or he can continue to serve. They are not made of pile wood materials. They are human beings. Give thanks for a great certified nurse assistant. Majority of the certified nurse assistant are immigrants who are dedicated, committed and ready to do their best.Most of them are not around to blow their horns but are there to serve and take care of their families in USA and abroad.
Certified nursing assistant will work under the supervision of a Registered nurses or LVN.
FUNCTIONS OF THE CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT.
- Check for vital sign such as take temperature, blood pressure, count radial pulse and respiration(not in all facilities)
- Assist with patients feeding sitting patient in upright position to prevent aspiration.
- Assist with activities of daily living such as bathing, personal hygiene, dressing up patients with clean gowns.
- Assist with weighing patients(Height and weight)and repositioning frequently for comfort and pressure redistribution with another nurse.
- Assist patients with ambulation and help with wheeling patients to their( family )car upon discharge home.
- Provide companionship to a lonely person.
- Assist with bathroom, bedpans and urinal.
- Assist patients with intake and output measurements.
- As part of the healthcare team, the CNA interact with the Registered nurses, LVN ,managers and all the members of the healthcare medical team.
- Compliance to the rules and regulations of the institutions where they work.
- Facilitate the care of their patients with honesty ,respect and compassion .(Don’t claim to clean a patient whereas patient is laying on his or her stool -bowel movements).
- Keep patient environment healthy, clean and sanitized.Bedside table clean and organize.
- Used as sitters to take care of confused patients and prevent falls in the hospitals.
- Follow your facility policy and procedures for certified nursing assistant.