The competency Evaluation Programs are centered on this six principles.
- SAFETY: As a Nursing Assistant to prevent injuries use good body mechanics. Check patient I .D band. Side rails should be up to prevent failing. So side rails should use as needed. Call light within patient reach,and personal belongings close to patient. Environment free of clutter. Good bedside manners patient table cleared and organized.
- PRIVACY :Knock before you enter patient room.Pull the curtain. Take permission from patient before taking care of the patient.
- DIGNITY: Respect and maintain patient dignity irrespective of socioeconomic status or race.Call patient by their last name for example Mr Kolkata, Mrs Goodness.
- COMMUNICATION:Listen to your patients. Explain procedures/ everything that you will do to your patients. Let your communication be in alignment with your patient. While you observe his physical and psychological reactions. Support positive behaviors.
- INFECTION:Control and prevent infection. Practice Standard Precautions. Wash your hands before procedure and after procedure. Wear gloves after washing your hands before procedures.
- INDEPENDENCE:Encourage patient to be part of their own care.Encourage patient to be independent. Take permission from your patient before caring for your patient/client.Involve patient families in the care of their love ones.Reinforce positive behavior by praising patient when they participate in their own care.Document findings and report that is report and record what you did.