HEPARIN IS A HIGH ALERT MEDICATION!!!
Heparin is known as anticoagulant or a blood thinner.
It is used to decrease the clotting ability.
It is helpful in the prevention of dangerous clots from forming in the blood vessels.
Use: For Atril fib,Cerebral disorder, valve disorder,DVT,P.E,CAD,patient on prolonged bedrest.It is used temporarily.
It will interfere with fibrin formation therefore preventing clots formation.
It is given IV( intravenously)or SubQ.
The SubQ is used to prevent blood clots for patients on bedrest.
There must be doctor orders before giving heparin drip or SubQ.
You have to check doctor orders, follow doctor orders and have a second license nurse to check orders and what will be given to patient.
Check physician orders for the IV solution.( Heparin drip)
Check the Patency of the IV line and needle thoroughly.
Verify the rate with another nurse.
Calculate the flow rate,prime the drip.
The IV pump machine has all the list of medications in it including Heparin drip. Count the drops per minute in drip chamber and follow the instructions as directed by the pump comparing it with your calculations with other healthcare professionals and doctor orders.
- What is Heparin drip ?.
- Who receives Heparin drip?.
- Why should the doctor order it?.
- What is the importance of giving patients with blood clot Heparin drip?.
- What are the side effects of Heparin drip?.( Bleeding, bruises)
- What is the antidote for Heparin?.(Protamine Sulfate)
- What is Coumadin?.
- What is antidote for Coumadin?.(Vitamin K)
- Why do you need laboratory test before infusing Heparin drip?.( Before heparin blood level is very important)
- What is the laboratory test used to monitor Heparin range and therapeutic level?.(Partial Thromboplastin Time or PTT)
- What is Therapeutic level for Coumadin and Heparin?.
1.Monitor PTT blood level closely.What is the ideally recommended level to maintain control.
2.Monitor closely for bleeding and report to the doctor immediately for any signs of bleeding.
3.Always calculate drips and use pump to administer heparin drip solution. 4.Refrain from traumatizing procedures that can cause bleeding or bruising.
5.Monitor platelet counts for thrombocytopenia.
NB:FOLLOW DOCTOR ORDERS ON HEPARIN CAREFULLY AS EACH PATIENT IS DIFFERENT.
What is your experience with hep?.Have you given heparin?.
Why is your patient on heparin?.
Leave a comment